In 1957, at the request of the bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Madison, six Cistercian sisters from Switzerland founded a new house of contemplative prayer in Wisconsin. The buildings in which the foundresses originally lived were a pioneer’s house onto which the former governor of Wisconsin had built his summer mansion. As the community grew, we added two more wings, but the buildings were never meant to be a permanent monastery, and they are increasingly unsafe and unhealthy.
Due to our continued growth as well as to encroaching development in our neighborhood and the deteriorating condition of our buildings, we decided in 2000 to seek new property and build a monastery more conducive to our way of life. Since then, through help from generous benefactors, we have purchased a secluded 229-
We are now initiating a capital campaign to raise the $18 million necessary for this monastery. To expedite our move, we have divided the project into two phases:
Phase 1, estimated at $10-
Phase 2, approximately $6-
We gratefully accept one-
Valley of Our Lady Monastery
E11096 Yanke Drive
Prairie du Sac, WI 53578
We pray daily for all of our supporters and remember our deceased benefactors in our necrology. Additionally, we are creating a donor recognition book in which we will record all donors and donations to the new monastery.
For more information about our building project, please email us at